Monday, June 25, 2012

Review: Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

 Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry.
Page count: 384
Publisher: Harlequin
Release date: July 31st, 2012
Book: Advanced Copy- ebook. (Thank you for the copy, Harlequin!"
Who I'd Recommend it To: Fans of Simone Elkeles, Melina Marchetta or people who just enjoy great YA literature.
Rating: ★★★★ 1/2

Synopsis from Goodreads: No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.  Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Review: 
 What a stunning debut! Right now, writing this, I've just finished the book. And I feel like anything I say right now won't do the book justice and will just be me being overly emotional. It is just so good.

In my opinion, with this type of book - it's usually a hit or miss. It's hard to do a book with these types of characters without making it over-dramatic and cheesy as hell. Pushing the Limits is neither cheesy or overly dramatic. Sure, it has drama - lots of it - but it's incredibly realistic. Even though it has drama and a lot of darker themes, the characters in the book are incredibly funny. The main characters have a lot of witty banter, which makes things a bit lighter.

The book is in switched POV's, so in one chapter we get to see everything through Echo, then we get to see everything through Noah. I really liked both POV's immensely.  What I really loved about Noah's was that it was really realistic and believable. I believed that this was a guy narrating. 

The writing was fantastic. It was raw and real and emotional, and it always flowed really nicely. (But if you do not like swearing, I'm warning you now: There is a lot of it. I really don't mind swearing much though, and the character that used it a lot... It fit his character So yeah.)

 Anyways, the characters. The characters. I love them all to bits. I love their flaws, their flare, their complexity. They just seemed so damn real to me. Even the majority of minor characters were multidimensional and had back stories. I especially loved Miss Collins. I adored the main characters, Echo and Noah. I just can't get over how realistic yet heartbreaking both of their situations were. The characters are both broken and have to deal with so much in this book. And I loved their relationship so much - they brought out the best in each other, they constantly saved each other. They were each others heroes. Both characters grew throughout the book, as did the minor characters.


In short: With writing that is raw and emotional, complex characters, Pushing the Limits is a fantastic, heartbreaking novel that keeps you turning the pages. You will cry, you will laugh, you will smile, then you'll cry a bit more. One of the best YA books of the year so far.

(Oh and the author also wrote a book on Beth? OH MY GOD YES SO EXCITED.)

No comments:

Post a Comment