Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett.
Page count: 304
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN (Thanks for the copy, guys!)
Release Date: August 28th, 2012
Book: E-BOOK (arc version)
Who I'd Recommend It To: People who like to read realistic fiction set in high school and don't mind such a young MC.
Rating: ★★★


Synopsis from Goodreads: Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make... #1: I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who "might" be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

#3: High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry-get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.) (Sorry. That was rude.)



Review:


The best thing about this book, is without a doubt, the protagonist -Rose Zarelli. Although I wanted to reach inside the book and slap her in the face occasionally and sometimes I felt so much secondhand embarrassment from her awkwardness, I couldn't help but really like this character and find her extremely easy to relate to. She was really funny, snarky and incredibly sarcastic.The way she viewed high school and the people in it reminds me a lot of myself. Rose is flawed and layered character, and I love that. But sometimes the way she was so naive and they way she treated people (Poor Robert!) really annoyed me to no end, but it was realistic, I guess. 


The other characters, for me, didn't really stand out. They were undeveloped, as were some of the relationships in this novel. Jamie, the love interest, well. . . I didn't really understand what kind of character he was supposed to be. I didn't really feel the connection between them that I gather I was supposed to. I really seemed to like Robert, though. And a guy called Angelo (I think that was his name. . .) Tracy was also an interesting character. I really liked the relationship between Rose and her mum - it was incredibly realistic and moving. And I might have cried once or twice in a couple of their scenes.


It didn't take me long to read it whatsoever. It's pretty fast-paced as well. The writing was great. 


Overall, I thought the book was alright and has got me interested enough to read the sequel. I'm really excited to see how everything develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment